Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all
And sweetest is the gale is heard; and sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm...
~Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

And you learn...

Goodbyes are never easy.
Whether it's after dropping a friend off at the airport after a visit, loosing your best friend, ending a relationship, or even saying goodbye to a loved one after they have passed away...or some of the above combined.

I have learned really well over the past years how to say goodbye.
I feel as if I have said goodbye to some of the most important people in my life.
The power of goodbye is life changing.
You are never ready for it and when the time comes, there is instant pain...your heart just knows...it knows what is going on.

I do believe that saying goodbye is a gift.
Nothing is ever guaranteed in life...no one is ever guaranteed to always be in our lives.
Tomorrow could fall apart right in front of your eyes...that is why today is so important.
Saying goodbye is the souls right in letting go.
Letting go of your physical attachment to someone/thing.
But the emotional attachment tends to linger...that is what makes us human.

Just because I say goodbye doesn't mean I will forget.
It doesn't mean things will magically go away...memories...feelings...voids.
That is my job.
After saying goodbye I must learn to accept it all.
I must know that in life there are no guarantees...and that I was lucky to ever have whatever it was, or whoever it was in my life at all.

I must learn from my goodbyes.
With my head up, and my heart ready to heal.
It is the only way to move forward.

The fine line of physical control and emotional control is one that humans have a very hard time with.

"Love doesn't mean leaning, and company doesn't always mean security"

"After awhile you learn the subtle difference between holding a hand and chaining a soul"

I must learn to let go of my children...let them be.
Allow them to experience their lives through their own eyes.
Say goodbye to my hold on them as a mother...let them grow...let them find out in their way.

I must continue to allow the positive grace of life to flow through me without resistance.
I must know that because I allow things in my life I must experience them to fully understand them.

I will continue to feel blessed for those who are in my life today, for tomorrow may be a different story...
and when the time comes to say goodbye, I will do so with dignity, love, and the knowledge that our experience together is done...for now.

I see the beauty in saying goodbye.
Even through the pain, I can emotionally let go of things out of my control.

"And you learn that you really can endure, you really are strong, and you really do have worth..."

With every goodbye, you learn.

For anyone who has had to say goodbye, I wish you peace in your new journey.

peace :)

1 comment:

  1. That's amazing Kari, I wish you the best and if you ever need to chat you have my number. Would love to hear from you and sometimes its easier to talk to someone who you are not emotionally attached to. I'm here if you need me. Always.

    ReplyDelete