Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all
And sweetest is the gale is heard; and sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm...
~Emily Dickinson

Thursday, August 25, 2011

the roads that lead us closer to ourselves

Kannon was drawing today as he always does so quietly and contently...he will sit at the dining room table and draw for an hour, no joke.
Those of us who know Autism know that anything done for that amount of time is a rarity.
I feel it is one of his gifts he gave to himself to help him express his emotions and life on paper.

Today he was drawing a castle with a long winding road that lead to the front doors out onto the vast edges of the paper...leading to where or what, I don't know.
I sat down next to him and watched him put the final touches on his masterpiece....grass...a blue sky...sunshine.

I then asked him about the road.
So winding, very articulated, it seemed to have a sense of purpose to my eyes.
I asked if the princess walked that road to go home...he said "yes, one way"
I thought about his response for a minute then asked him if the princess could walk back the other direction on the road, he quickly responded "NO...one way...to her home, no back"
Then he went on to say "It's ok momma...make princess happy go home"

What insight his soul has.
Now maybe I am looking into his response more than I should...but that's what I like to do at times when I see such passion in Kannon.

He mimicked with his finger the princess coming from off the paper up the road around the corner and to her home.
When I asked him with my finger if she could go backwards he stopped my finger immediately and said what I had stated earlier.
He was not letting the princess go "backwards"
She could only move forward...to her home...to her happiness.

Naturally I would like to think this applies to us all.
Moving forward.
Moving towards our "home"
Never going backwards, or looking back.

Kannon instinctively felt that this was the only right answer.
He knew with his heart that this was the true road to happiness...and he has the gift to draw it on paper.

Just like his "friend" who he drew awhile back...
Kannon still talks about having a friend.
He still does drawings of himself with little kids holding hands and smiling.
He still talks about his friend and how one day he will have one...or two...
He also draws rainbows with pots of gold, pirate ships sailing in the deep blue seas, aliens with big smiles on their faces, Santa Claus with bags full of presents and princess' going home to their castle.

He knows what world he wants to live in and he draws it out on paper.

Life mimicking art...or is it the other way around?

Either way, I think we all should find our way home every day and not look back on the road that got us there.
We should just be present.
Be on our road home.
It is what makes our heart the happiest.
Even Autism knows this.

peace:)

2 comments:

  1. My heart misses this so much.
    He's always such a great teacher.

    Thank you for sharing his art, his perspective.
    You guys are always in my heart.

    See you soon.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when I am beginning to lose sight of what truly is home for me, your words comfort me and steer me back to where I am supposed to be. You have no idea. To not look back...to look forward and remember what makes me happy. Thank you Autism. Thank you, Kary.

    ReplyDelete