Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul
And sings the tune without the words, and never stops at all
And sweetest is the gale is heard; and sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm...
~Emily Dickinson

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

A very tough goodbye.

It's almost like that picture or painting you hung on your wall years ago, that you walk by every day and glance at while moving through life...
It is a constant in your world, a constant image that provides stability within an unstable world.
You know it's there and you love it, hence why you put it there in the first place...to be admired and to show a glimpse into what your soul wants to express.

Sometimes you may look at it for inspiration...
For serenity.
To bring you back to why you chose it in the first place...why you thought it was worthwhile of hanging in your home.
It becomes part of your life fabric.
It exists and it expresses itself without words.
It is beautiful.

There are things/people/life sources that come into our lives for many different reasons.
Some stay for a day, others for years.
Sometimes they leave by their own choice.
Sometimes we push them out.
Whatever the reason we loose things that come into our lives, it is for a reason.
A choice perhaps, by both parties and not always reciprocal.
Like pictures on our wall, some stay hanging for awhile while others we change out because they no longer suit our "taste"...

I do know that in my crazy everyday world there have been very few constants.
Things that I can walk by in life and always know will be there...for my enjoyment, my happiness, my comfort.

One constant has been my dog.
I have had Cisco, my old man for 14 years now.
I also have a lovely, crazy lab...she just turned 2...didn't want her to feel left out :)

Cisco has been there through quite a lot in my life.
My constant in life.
14 Years of friendship, and as we know with dogs...pure, honest love.
He has been my beautiful painting hanging on my wall of life.
Always inspiring, always steady, and always there for my peace of heart.
He has always been here, even when I have taken his existence for granted...because my life got the best of me...because I was too overwhelmed to give him that extra scratch on the head or rub on his belly.
No matter where I was in my life, he never changed.
He always loved me.
Always wanted my love, time and affection...and if he didn't receive it as much as he wanted he was still there the next day to try.

We humans are so lucky.
So lucky to experience true friendship and love through these animals.


For whatever reasons, this is what has been going through my heart about what I have to do tomorrow.

I have to say goodbye to my old man of 14 years.
I have to make the decision that my aching heart is not as important as his dignity.
I owe him that much...and so much more than I could ever repay in one lifetime.

Someone told me that true love is letting those you really love free...
Letting them fly again.

I know that tomorrow Cisco will be young again...
He will be flying high and free.

Goodbye my friend, my constant reminder of love and loyalty...and thank you for blessing my walls of life with one of the most beautiful pictures my heart will never forget.

peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment